Saturday, May 30, 2009

Irony

I can't turn up the link now, but I saw a blog post a couple of weeks stating flatly that C++ was unusable because the compile times were too slow. It had to bounce around in the back of my head for a few days before it occurred to me that this was a weird mirror of the classic reason why some other language than C++ would do. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say it didn't matter that C++ generated faster code than all the trendy languages, because they were all fast enough. Am I to judge from combining these two statements that the only time speed is important today is when you are compiling?

For what it's worth, I'd love it if C++ compiled faster. And I'd have a whole lot of happy customers if I could double the speed of my C++ code.

No comments:

Post a Comment