Thursday, October 29, 2009

It's Alive!

Following the #perl6 IRC channel today, I couldn't help but get the feeling that things are really bubbling up in the world of Rakudo and Perl 6. masak started things off by posting a link to one of his older blog posts inspired by Knuth. Later he promised a month of blog posts on a secret project.

Meanwhile jnthn added nested signatures to Rakudo, producing this beautiful implementation of Quicksort. moritz posted on recent progress -- the last two months have been very productive! He also started another chapter in the Perl 6 book.

All of this is accompanied by a near constant background drone of pmichaud checking in changes to his nqp-rx project. I must admit I don't understand all the details of what he is doing, but I believe the gist of it is replacing a key component of Rakudo with a new, considerably smarter version -- in particular, one capable of handling the STD.pm grammar that Larry Wall has been working on. It's shocking how much progress pmichaud is making every day. It sounds like it will go into Rakudo sometime in November, which is terrific news, as there have many things blocking on Rakudo's current parser.

(Meanwhile, of course, I haven't found time to work on my own humble posts. I've got some code, but I'm pretty sure there's something I'm doing wrong, and I can't test it because another bit relies on a NYI feature. Sigh...)

P.S. While I was writing this post, carlin posted a link to a new bot written in Perl 6. Fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment