Thursday, June 25, 2009

Perl 6 Working Again on OS X

As I believe I mentioned in a previous post, upgrading Rakudo to Pittsburgh broke it for me on my MacBook Pro and my 64-bit Linux box. It failed running test t/01-sanity/07-isa.t. This morning I got the test running again by switching to the parrot subdirectory, doing svn update, and running make. Then I switched back to the Rakudo directory and rebuilt it. Now make test runs fine. Yay!

So here's my first stab at the squares program in Perl 6. It's a lot more compact than the Perl 5 version, but I feel dirty using map solely for a side-effect. Surely there must be a better way to do it?


Update: Thanks to moritz_ and Tene on #perl6, I now have a much more Perl 6ish version:

3 comments:

  1. Great! I wonder if you could also try getting Padre and Padre::Plugin::Perl6 working on OS X.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understanding that I have extraordinarily little in the way of free time if it turns out to be tricky, sure, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it. Where do I start?

    ReplyDelete
  3. # This should install Padre along
    # with Perl 6 support
    $ cpan Padre::Plugin::Perl6

    Most of the development team are found at #padre @ irc.perl.org (you can use mibbit.com to access it if you're behind something that prevents accessing IRC). Padre's website is http://padre.perlide.org .

    I hope we can see Padre running smoothly over Mac OS X soon :)

    ReplyDelete